Milton Combe: village (pub) near the River Tavy, 8 miles from Plymouth (restaurants, theatre, cinema, aquarium). Dartmoor, Yelverton and the Plym Valley cycle track, about 4 miles. Tavistock, 8. Buckland Abbey (Nat. Trust), 1 mile; within 15 miles are other Nat. Trust houses/gardens, fishing villages and sandy beaches.
... deep in Lord Roborough’s 6,000 acre estate, 1½ miles from Milton Combe and very close to the River Tavy, is Maristow Barton, a large, detached Georgian country house in its own enclosed grounds and most peaceful of settings, lots of footpaths; jetty for small boat (bring your own) on the Tavy (excellent birdwatching). Beside the house, an enclosed, sunny, gravelled yard with tables/chairs, two barbecues; behind the house, a large lawn. Games room (table tennis, darts). Barns provide storage space for bicycles (bring your own).
The house is hugely comfy, bright modern decor, owner loved/used. Large hall; beautiful, sunny living/dining room (30’ x 18’) with open fire, TV/DVD, good paintings. TV room with dark red walls, comfy seating and TV/DVD. Kitchen with two dishwashers, microwave, fridge-freezer (chest freezer in barn), gas range, electric oven/gas hob, island with bar stools; larder with additional fridges; laundry room with washing machine, tumble drier. Downstairs lobby/loo and back door to yard.
Upstairs (stairgates): on the first floor, four bedrooms, all good-sized, well-proportioned rooms with Georgian windows (seats) and lots of light:
- the Japanese master double (6’ bed) with black lacquer furniture and en suite shower-room (suite with power-shower and double tray);
- a twin (5’ bed), peaceful in greens/creams with en suite shower-room (suite, power-shower);
- a double (5’ bed) with en suite shower-room (suite, power-shower);
- a double (6’ sleigh bed) with exclusive use of shower-room (suite, power-shower) across the landing;
On the second floor, four more bedrooms, smaller, lower ceilings, all brightly coloured and fun:
- the ‘fuschia’ double (5’ bed) with slipper bath (plus hand-shower) in the room, washbasin in one cupboard, loo in another (limited clothes-hanging space);
- the ‘turquoise’ double (5’ bed) with slipper bath (plus hand-shower) in the room, washbasin and loo in cupboard;
- the ‘red room’ with twin beds (zip-linkable to 6’ double) and en suite bathroom (suite plus hand-shower);
- the ‘green and pink room’ with twin beds and en suite bathroom (suite plus hand-shower).
Professional catering available. Dogs permitted in kitchen and utility areas only. Damages Deposit £750. The standard of luxury and comfort in the house is exceptional, the atmosphere relaxing and casual, the surroundings tranquil.